1/2 Photos of Chicken-Fried Steak With Cracked Pepper Gravy
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I updated it by verifying it on cdkitchen.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the flour spice by blending the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside on a plate or wax paper.
- 2Prepare the batter by mixing the eggs with a whisk, in a large bowl.
- 3Add the cream, and beer. Whisk to blend.
- 4Set aside. In a deep, heavy skillet, heat the oil to 350 degrees. While the oil is heating, prepare the round steaks by dredging them in the flour spice, taking care to evenly coat the meat. Shake off any excess.
- 5Dip the meat into the batter, and then again in the flour spice, evenly coating the batter so it is dry on the outside. When the oil temperature reaches 350 degrees (when a drop of batter sizzles when dropped in it), gently slide one steak into the hot oil. Cook the steak about 5 minutes.
- 6Turn in, taking care not to break the coating, and cook the meat 5 more minutes, or until the batter is nicely browned. Drain the cooked steak on paper towels. Repeat with the other steaks.
- 7Hold the cooked steaks in a 225 degree oven until all four are done. Pour Cracker-Pepper Gravy over the steaks and serve. Yield: 4 servings.
- 8CREAM GRAVY Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- 9When the foam goes down, whisk in the flour. Continually whisk until the flour cooks, becoming a fragrant light brown.
- 10Slowly add the milk, continuing to whisk to keep lumps from forming.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Simmer gravy for 10 minutes to cook and reduce. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken-Fried Steak With Cracked Pepper Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1635.6
- Calories from Fat 1325
- Total Fat 147.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.4 g
- Cholesterol 241.0 mg
- Sodium 1017.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 32.8 g