1/2 Photos of Chicken-Fried Steak Strips With Milk Gravy
This is very popular in our house. The kids love the strips they can eat with their fingers and dip into the gravy. They prefer to have french fries with this so they can dip them in the gravy, too. Most definitely a Texas (or Oklahoma) recipe - Southwestern U.S. NOTE: Although this isn't a low fat recipe, it doesn't contain anywhere near the amount indicated in the nutrition facts which include all the oil. If the oil is hot enough when you add the steak strips, it will absorb very little oil. Also, you can drain the cooked steak strips on paper towels to absorb more fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons chopped onions, pressed through a garlic press, reserving the pulp and the juice (can use the food processor, too)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 1 lb round steak, cut into strips, 4 by 1/2 by 1/2 inch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (I use McCormick's SeasonAll)
- 2 cups vegetable oil (or enough to cover the skillet with 1/2 inch oil)
- 1In a wide flat bowl or pie plate, whisk together the egg, the milk, the onion pulp and juice, and the garlic. Mix the flour and seasoned salt in another wide flat bowl or pie plate.
- 2Dip the steak strips into the egg mixture, and then dredge them in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- 3In a large heavy skillet heat 1/2 inch of oil over moderately high heat until it is hot.
- 4Fry the steak strips in batches, turning them once, for 3 minutes, and transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- 5Keep the strips warm on an ovenproof platter in a preheated 200 F oven.
- 6Make the gravy: pour off the oil from the skillet, reserving 3 tbsp of it, and wipe the skillet clean.
- 7In the skillet cook the flour in the reserved oil over moderate heat, stirring for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and simmer the gravy, whisking, for 5 minutes.
- 9Transfer the gravy to a sauceboat.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken-Fried Steak Strips With Milk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1460.5
- Calories from Fat 1108
- Total Fat 123.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 196.0 mg
- Sodium 185.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 40.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: