Recipe by MsSally
This is from the March 08 issue of Southern Living. I was intrigued by the method of this recipe and can't wait to try it....Nutitional info from Southern Living...CALORIES 315; FAT 11.9g (sat 3.9g,mono 5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 29.3g; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 43mg; SODIUM 369mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 4.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.3g
Top Review by HungryInHouston
LOVE IT! Comfort food you can take comfort in! Made this for my husband who love CFS, but we've cut out fried foods. I used the wheat saltines and tenderized round steak pounded thin. It was delicious! Served it with the low fat cream gravy. We'll definitely make this again. I am shocked how well it stood up to its fatty cousin and how much color and crunch it had with just some cooking spray! I have already shared with others and will try the same breading technique on fish and chicken.
- 6 (680.38 g) cube steaks (1 1/2 lb.)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml egg substitute
- 45 saltine crackers, crushed (1 sleeve plus 7 crackers)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- Dredge steaks in flour; dip in egg substitute, and dredge in crushed crackers.
- Lightly coat steaks on each side with cooking spray.
- Cook steaks, in batches, in a hot nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden, turning twice.
- Can transfer steaks to a jelly roll pan at 225 if need be to keep warm.