Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from the March 08 issue of Southern Living. I was intrigued by the method of this recipe and can't wait to try it....Nutitional info from Southern Living...CALORIES 315; FAT 11.9g (sat 3.9g,mono 5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 29.3g; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 43mg; SODIUM 369mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 4.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.3g
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- Dredge steaks in flour; dip in egg substitute, and dredge in crushed crackers.
- Lightly coat steaks on each side with cooking spray.
- Cook steaks, in batches, in a hot nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden, turning twice.
- Can transfer steaks to a jelly roll pan at 225 if need be to keep warm.
LOVE IT! Comfort food you can take comfort in! Made this for my husband who love CFS, but we've cut out fried foods. I used the wheat saltines and tenderized round steak pounded thin. It was delicious! Served it with the low fat cream gravy. We'll definitely make this again. I am shocked how well it stood up to its fatty cousin and how much color and crunch it had with just some cooking spray! I have already shared with others and will try the same breading technique on fish and chicken.
Can't believe this is low fat! My only problem is that I think my stove just cooks too hot....my breading got a little dark, so I will reduce the heat next time. Served with your Cream Gravy for Chicken Fried Steak (Light). Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! I only used 2 steaks for the 2 of us and it worked out great. I also used oyster crackers instead of the saltines. What a nice treat for DH. Thanks for posting. :)