Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A cast-iron skillet will work the best for this recipe, this also works well using beef that has been pounded thinly. Serve with fries or mashed potatoes...total comfort food! Make certain not to crush the crackers to a fine powder --- this is very good!
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to about 1/2-inch thick)
- black pepper
- 38 saltine crackers, crushed (1 sleeve)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or adjust to heat level)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (garlic lovers use 1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 -4 cups half-and-half cream (use 4 cups for a thinner gravy)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (can reduce if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken breasts with black pepper.
- In a shallow dish combine crushed cracker crumbs with flour 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper (if using) and baking powder.
- In another shallow dish whisk together eggs with 3/4 milk.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the cracker mixture then dip in the egg/milk mixture, then dredge AGAIN in the cracker mixture.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet and heat to 360 degrees F.
- Fry the breasts in hot oil for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove to a wire rack and cover lightly with foil.
- Carefully drain oil but reserve the browned bits in the bottom of the skillet along with a couple tablespoons of the oil.
- In a bowl mix together 4 cups half and half cream, 1/4 cup flour 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper; whisk until combined, then add to the reserved drippings in the skillet, cook whisking constantly over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve the creamed gravy with the breasts.