Recipe by Um ahmad al gimzawie
This recipe originally calls for tongue, but my mom use to substitute with top sirloin. It's probably my most favorite way to cook steak. It tastes really good served with rice.
- 3 lbs top sirloin steaks
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 large finely chopped onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by cutting meat in to pieces a bit bigger then the palm of your hand. Make sure meat is a little bit thin (you don't want piece to be thick).
- Place meat in pot (without oil) and put on medium heat. Meat will begin to cook by releasing water, stir once in a while to keep it even. Remove meat once the water has almost all went away.
- Place meat in a clean bowl, add olive oil. crushed red peppers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile make sauce by sautéing onions and oil in pot. When onions begin to brown, add tomato sauce, water, and salt and pepper. Simmer until sauce is reduced to half.
- Heat oil for frying. Whisk eggs in bowl, place meat in eggs, then in flour, then fry until golden brown.
- Begin stacking in small casserole dish by placing alternate layers of sauce and meat in casserole dish. Making sure to put sauce first, you should get about 3 layers of meat.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve with rice.