Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Traditional southern fare....great with mashed potatoes! All southern diners have this on the menu....pure comfort food! Found some similar recipes posted, but none just like this.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb cubed beef steak
- 1 egg, large, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup saltine crumbs
- vegetable oil, poured to a depth of 1/2 inch in the skillet
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Combine 1/4 cup all purpose flour, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle on both sides of the steaks.
- Combine egg and 2 tbsp milk in a shallow dish. Dip steaks in the egg mixture, and dredge in the cracker crumbs.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large, heavy skillet. Fry steaks in hot oil over medium heat until browned, turning once. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove steaks, and drain on paper towels. Keep warm. Drain off drippings, reserving 3 tbsp in skillet.
- Add 3 tbsp flour to drippings in skillet, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and 1/2 cup milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in a dash or Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Serve gravy with steaks.
Thanks to Best of 2011 Cookbook Official Game I picked this recipe to try.
This recipe surprised me. I picked this recipe for my DH & I was the one who also loved it. The flavor was just right.
Nothing better than chicken fried steak and gravy on a cold winter day! This was a really nice version - loved the saltines as a crust. The gravy was good over the steak and mashed potatoes. Thanks breezermom for another keeper. Made for Potluck Tag.
This is really good! I made as is with three large steaks and it was the perfect amount. I did simmer the meat for about 25 minutes and they did get a little soggy, but since they were bigger I wanted to make sure they were cooked through. The cracker crumbs made it! I loved the saltiness from them. The gravy was flavorful, easy to make and the perfect amount to cover the three steaks with some extra for the potatoes. Served with Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans With Caramelized Vidalia Onions. Made for 1-2-3-Hits.