Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
southern dish best served with mashed potatoes, greens and biscuits
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs top round steaks, tenderized about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups saltine crumbs, rolled fine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce or 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- Mix 1/2 cup flour with salt and pepper.
- Pound the mixture into both sides of the meat with mallet.
- Cut the meat into serving size pieces.
- Beat the eggs together with the 2 tbl spns cream Reserve 3 tble spns of the flour.
- Dredge the steaks in the remaining flour.
- Dip in egg mixture then in cracker crumbs.
- Drop into hot oil.
- Brown the steaks well turn and brown other side.
- Reduce heat to medium cover skillet and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Turning occasionally until steak is cooked through and tender.
- Remove steaks from pan and drain on brown paper bags.
- Keep warm add onion to pan and saute quickly.
- Pour off all but 3 tble spns of oil and remaining flour ans stir well for 1-2 minute Stir in the cream then chicken stock then worcestershire and or hot sauce top the meat with the gravy.