Recipe by emma1222
This recipe is a little bit of a process, however it is totally worth it. I know that most chicken fried steak has gravy, but this one is so flavorful I really don't think that it's necessary. This one can be a bit messy, but the end result is worth it as well.
Top Review by CJAY
Great recipe! I made it exactly as written and it was very tasty. The timing was right on and the breading actually stayed put unlike some of the others I've tried. Made for PAC 2010. Thanks emma for sharing your nice recipe.
- 907.18 g bonelss round steaks, pounded thin
- 354.88 ml flour
- 9.85 ml seasoning salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 2 (226.79 g) package saltine crackers, crushed
- 3 eggs
- 118.29 ml milk
- 354.88 ml shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any fat from pound steak. Then, cut into steak size pieces (about 4-6 oz). Pound steak thin with a meat tenderizer.
- In large baggie, place 2 packages of saltine crackers and close. Crush saltine crackers using rolling pin; make sure to crush completely. Empty crushed crackers into shallow dish or pie plate.
- In seperate pie plate mix flour, seasoned salt and pepper.
- In another seperate pie plate or shallow dish beat egg and milk together.
- Place dishes in the following order: 1. flour mix, 2. egg/milk mix and 3. crushed crackers.
- Heat shorening in electic skillet to 300 degrees.
- Dip each piece of meat into the pie dishes in order until well coated.
- Cook in electic skillet, turning once, about 7-8 minutes each side, or until cooked all the way through.
- Remove from electric skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to de-grease the steak.
- Serve and enjoy.