- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cracker meal
- 1 (3 -5 ounce) beef cutlet, hand-tenderized
- vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip together egg, buttermilk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; set batter aside.
- Blend together flour and cracker meal in another bowl. Place cutlet in mixture, and cover both sides well. Submerge the cutlet in the egg batter, then place it back in the flour mixture, patting both sides again evenly to coat.
- Melt shortening in a deep fryer (or cast-iron skillet), and heat to 325°F Place cutlet in fryer, and fry until it floats and turns golden.