Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on AOL's Kitchen Assistant. I have heard that it is one of the best chicken fried steak recipes out there! The gravy looks a little scary when you are making it...but it turns out GREAT! I usually serve with mash potatoes and peas!
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
- 38 saltine crackers, crushed (1 sleeve)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 3⁄4 cups milk, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups peanut oil
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
- Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and red pepper in a shallow dish.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and both eggs.
- Dredge steaks in cracker crumbs mix; dip in milk mix and dredge in cracker mix again.
- Pour oil into a 12 inch skillet and heat to approximately 360 degrees.
- Fry steaks 3-3 1/2 minutes.
- Turn and fry for 3-3 1/2 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack on jelly roll pan.
- Keep warm in a 225 degree oven.
- Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 Tbsp drippings in skillet.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 4 cups milk.
- Pour mix into reserved drippings in skillet and cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly (10-12 minutes or until thickened).
- Serve gravy over steaks and mash potatoes!
This is the best chicken fried steak I have ever tried!! It has just a little kick on it...and makes plenty of gravy to serve over those mash potatoes! I would recommend this recipe to anyone who loves some some Southern cuisine!