Recipe by Tish
I figured out that you can make this in gargantuan quantities and freeze in containers for later. It really saves time...only about 10 minutes to heat up and is a great addition to any Chinese meal. Great way to use extra cooked rice too! I have a rice cooker and it's really easy to make extra. Cook time includes cooking "real" rice and chicken.
Top Review by lovelemons
This is pretty good and I'd have given it five stars, but it has three problems that need remedied. First it really is a little bland as written. It needs garlic. Second, the onions were not cooked through and third, the frozen peas were hard inside. My husband, who spent the first 8 years of his military career stationed in Japan, refused to eat it. In addition, it took only about an hour to make although the recipe says 2 . Luckily, the first time was a test run and I just made 1/4 of the recipe. My cat enjoyed it while I tried again. The second time I changed things up just a bit. I added a little more than a TBS of minced garlic and stir fried it in 1 TBS olive oil along with the onions for two minutes, then added frozen peas, diced fresh carrots and some leftover lima beans from the fridge to the skillet and stir-fried until the carrots were crisp-tender. Then I stirred this into the rice and chopped leftover cooked lemon chicken (from the freezer), parted it up and froze 3/4 in freezer bags. The remainder I stir fried until nice and hot and added soy sauce to taste. I had to add maybe another tsp of oil during cooking just to coat everything evenly, but then I have a great non-stick skillet and nothing sticks to it. The second batch we gobbled up. Can't wait for a reason to get out another bag. Thanks so much for the base recipe. I used to make fried rice the old school way (a real pain and takes hours), but DH says this actually tasted better. I will never do it that way again thanks to you. Cheers!
- 4 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 12 cups rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked chicken, chopped and cooled (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 dashes pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the peas and carrots, rice, onion, parsley flakes and chicken.
- Mix well.
- Pour into 4 bags (enough serve 4) or less for family size.
- Seal, lable and freeze.
- Thaw bag of rice mixture.
- Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large skillet.
- Dump rice mixture into the skillet.
- Cook and stir over medium heat, breaking up any chunks of rice, until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Push rice mixture to the side of the skillet.
- Add 1 Tbs oil to the empty side of the skillet and add the eggs.
- Cook and stir until eggs are thickened but still moist.
- Combine eggs with the rice mixture.
- Turn off heat.
- Stir in soy sauce and pepper.
- *Note:You can make this all ahead of time and just reheat but I like the taste of"fresh".