Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chicken fried rice recipe from Frozen Assets Lite and Easy, Taylor Hough
- 12 ounces long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, pared and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 medium zucchini, slice into 1/2 inc pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup snow peas or 1 cup peas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- Advanced prep.
- Cook chicken night before. Cut into ½ inch pieces. Cook the rice night before. Store separate in fridge. Chop onions and red bell pepper. Mince ginger root and garlic. Slice zucchini into ½ inch pieces. Remove strings from snow peas and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook onions, ginger, pepper flakes and garlic in 1 ½ tbs sesame oil. Cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper and snow peas. Cook, stirring frequently 3-4 moniutes or until vegetables are just softened. In separate pan, scramble eggs. Stir eggs, chicken and veggie mixture into rice. Stir in soy sauce. Put into labeled freezer bag/tupperware, seal and freeze.
- To serve.
- Thaw. Heat in medium hot skillet with 2 tsp of oil. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until heated through.
I made this as written with the exception of the vegetables. I used 4 C of frozen stir fry mix and added a few handfuls of broccoli. I also cut back on the ginger a bit because others don't like it too hot. We both thought it was delicious and I will definitely make this again.
I love this recipe because it is very adaptable to whatever vegetables you have on hand -- I used asparagus instead of zucchini and green peppers instead of red. It's a great "clean out the fridge" recipe. Best if the rice is made ahead of time and then cooled.