1/1 Photo of Chicken Fried Pork With Milk Gravy
This recipe is like the chicken fried steak you grew up with, only uses boneless rib pork chops. You will need a meat mallet with a rough textured side and also a deep fat thermometer. I discovered this recipe in Gourmet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pound pork chops on both sides with rough-textured side of meat pounder until 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Season with salt and pepper and cut into 3-inch pieces.
- 3Whisk together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish.
- 4Whisk together egg, 3/4 cup milk, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper in another shallow dish.
- 5Dip pork pieces in egg mixture to coat, then dredge in flour.
- 6Transfer pork as coated to a large rack set on a baking sheet.
- 7Let pork stand, uncovered, at room temperature 15 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 250°F.
- 9Heat oil in a deep 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until thermometer registers 375°F (see cooks' note, below).
- 10Fry pork in batches, turning over once, until golden, about 4 minutes per batch, transferring to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 375°F between batches.
- 11Keep pork warm on a clean baking sheet in oven.
- 12Pour off all but 2 tablespoons oil into a heatproof bowl, leaving any brown bits in bottom of skillet, then add remaining 3 tablespoons flour to skillet and cook roux over moderate heat, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- 13Bring to a boil and whisk in remaining 2 1/2 cups milk.
- 14Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 15Season gravy with salt and pepper (to taste) and serve over pork.
- 16** Note:.
- 17To take the temperature of a shallow amount of oil with a metal flat-framed deep-fat thermometer, put bulb of thermometer facedown in skillet, resting other end (not plastic handle) on rim of skillet. Check temperature frequently.
- 18Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fried Pork With Milk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1639.2
- Calories from Fat 1171
- Total Fat 130.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 190.2 mg
- Sodium 1210.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 54.8 g