Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I know fish is good for you, but I’m one of those people that don't care for the "fishy taste" that some fish seem to have. My SO convinced me to try different types of mild fish, so I decided to try orange roughy, and used my fried chicken recipe. This recipe is the great result. Actual prep time is 2 hours 10 minutes, (2 hours chill, 10 minutes actual prep). if you try this, be careful turning, as some of the coating might flake off, but it still just as good. Submitted on April 25th,2006
- 1 lb orange roughy, cut fish into 12 equal pieces (or any other thick mild boneless fillets)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- Put fish into a medium sized bowl.
- Cover with buttermilk; chill for at least 2 hours.
- Mix together flour, seasoning salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Coat each piece of fish in flour mixture.
- Set aside.
- In remaining buttermilk, add egg, mixing well.
- Coat floured fish in buttermilk/egg mix.
- Repeat step 4.
- Heat oil till hot but not smoking in a large skillet.
- Add fish six pieces at a time. Do not crowd fish.
- Cook until fish is golden brown and flakes easily (about 3 to 5 minutes each side).
I have to agree with OzMan that this is outstanding! The buttermilk makes the fish moist and flaky, and the breading seasonings are on-point. I prepared half of this recipe with lemon juice in the marinade and half without -- and I actually preferred the recipe without, as written. The buttermilk gives the fish all the tang and flavor it needs. Nice job, Chef shapeweaver!
This fish was outstanding! I had to use cod as that is what I had on hand, and it came out delicious with no problems keeping the batter on the fish during frying. I paired this with some homemade fries for a quick easy dinner and was very pleased with the results. I may add some different spices next time to the mix for a a spicier version, but this was very good. THank you very much. :)