Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Down-home cookin', t'aint nothing quite like it! For breakfast, serve this with some taters. If you prefer it on the dinner menu, I suggest fresh steamed green beans and mashed taters.
- 2 lbs cube steaks
- meat tenderizer
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- cooking oil or shortening
For the Gravy
- 2 -4 tablespoons meat drippings
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle meat tenderizer on both sides of steaks Prepare coating by mixing salt, pepper, and paprika into flour with a fork Beat eggs in a mixing bowl and stir in the milk Heat the oil/shortening at medium heat while you assemble the steaks.
- If you have a large skillet you can fry more than one at a time.
- Use enough oil/shortening so it covers the bottom of the skillet by 1/2 inch.
- Dip each steak first in flour, then in egg&milk, then in flour, back in egg&milk, final dip in flour and then set carefully in the hot oil.
- fry for about 10 min.
- then turn steak over-be careful!
- The steaks are heavy and you don't want to splatter hot oil everywhere!
- If you have some metal tongs, they come in handy for this job, paired with a fork to lift the steak enough to get a firm grip on it.
- Fry the other side for about 5 min. until golden, then use tongs/fork to lift onto a paper-toweled plate to drain.
- Transfer 2-4 tbsp. grease from frying pan to sauce pot, heat at medium setting.
- Make a roux by mixing 1/4 c. flour into the hot grease with a fork, cooking until golden brown.
- Add milk and stir mixture often until it bubbles and thickens to your liking.
- Salt and pepper the gravy.
- Serve gravy over steaks.
This was such a flavorful dish! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe!
Yum! We love chicken fried steak and loved this version. Very simple, tender, and yummy. Thanks TiaGem for a nice keeper. Made for I Recommend tag.