Recipe by 4Susan
Bacon - it's the icecream of the meat world, high in Vitamin-G (grease) and bound to make the food police crazy! This side of fat douple-dipped in fat then fried in fat & served with a side of fat (cream gravy) recipe comes from Sodolak's Original Country Inn restaurant in Snook, Texas. Cream gravy is my own recipe. I do not admit to ever making fried bacon so prep time is a guesstimate ;)
Top Review by Canadian Bacon Eater
there is nothing more beautiful than bacon (fat) wrapped in carbohydrates and cooked in fat in the world of food. Some will say "that will clog your arteries". I say that this elegant dish is not only an inspiration to mankind but the epitome and symbol of manliness and awesomeness. Eat it.<br/><br/>Seriously though, this is the best (and best tasting) idea that ever saw light. Bravo, says I, for being awesome.
- 1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (or cream or half & half)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- spices (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons drippings or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
- salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Place flour in another bowl - season it if you'd like (garlic, pepper, salt, lemon, cajun, etc.).
- Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak.
- To make cream gravy:.
- Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat & whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.