1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A fricassee is an old-fashioned type of stew. It's creamy, comforting and satisfying. Serve with mashed potatoes, fluffy biscuits, or egg noodles. This stew can be frozen for up to 3 months, but the peas will lose their texture if frozen. To peel small onions easilly: soak 10-15 seconds in boiling water, drain; rinse under cold. Cut off the root and tip ends and the outer skin should slip off easilly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 onion, halved
- 946.36 ml rich chicken broth
- 1 celery rib, coarsley chopped (including leaves)
- 1 carrot, peeled & coarsley chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled & coarsley chopped
- 3 large sprigs parsley (with stems)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1587.57 g chicken
- 1 whole chicken breast, on the bone
- 78.07 ml flour
- 9.85 ml sweet paprika
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml butter
- 453.59 g large white pearl onion, peeled
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 340.19 g sugar snap pea
- 78.07 ml heavy cream
- 1Stick the cloves into the onion halves and place in a large saucepan with the chicken stock.
- 2Add the celery, carrot, turnip, parsley, and bay.
- 3Bring stock to a boil; reduce heat slightly, and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 4Strain the stock through a sieve set in a bowl.
- 5There should be 3 cups (if there's more, boil until reduced; if there's less, add enough cold water to equal 3 cups).
- 6Cut the chicken into 10 pieces (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings, & 4 half breasts), trim off fat, and remove skin if desired.
- 7In a shallow bowl season the flour with the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- 8Dredge the chicken in the flour to coat; reserve any excess flour.
- 9In a Dutch oven or large, flameproof casserole dish, melt 3 tablespoons butter; add the chicken in a single layer without crowding.
- 10Cook (in batches if necessary) until lightly browned (5 minutes).
- 11As the chicken browns, remove to a plate.
- 12Melt the remaining tablespoon butter in the same pan, and sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of the reserved flour.
- 13Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- 14Whisk in the stock, whisking until smooth and slightly thickened, and bring to a boil.
- 15Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 16Add the chicken, onions, and thyme, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and onions are tender (35 minutes).
- 17In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the peas just until they are tender and turn bright green (1.5-2 minutes).
- 18Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- 19With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and onions to a bowl.
- 20Skim off any fat on top of the broth.
- 21Add the cream and boil until slightly reduced (2 minutes).
- 22Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 23Return the chicken and onions, and a minute or two before serving add the peas.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fricassee With Sugar Snap Peas & Pearl Onions
Serving Size: 1 (689 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.5
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.9 mg
- Sodium 969.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: