Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
From the book The 150 Best American Recipes by Fran McCullough and Molly Stevens
Make and share this Chicken Fricassee With Lemon, Saffron, and Green Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 ounces cracked and pitted green olives (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon freshly crushed coriander seed
- saffron, 1 to 2 large pinches
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 preserved lemon, quartered and sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, thick stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, turning with tongs, for about 10 minutes. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are limp but not browned.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, olives, coriander seeds, and saffron, and return to a boil.
- Cover the pan with parchment paper and then with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the lemon juice, and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned vegetables. Add the cream and preserved-lemon slices and boil until the liquid is reduced by half or until slightly thickened.
- Strain, if desired (though the bits taste great), and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the chicken and scatter the cilantro over the top. Serve immediately.