Recipe by CJAY
An easy, thrifty recipe using Bisquick that I found in a little booklet I forgot I had. It's titled Strictly Thrifty Menus from Betty Crocker. I'm putting them all on here for safe keeping.
Top Review by Moseslakecooker
Thank you for posting this recipe! I've been making this dish for over 30 years, but lost the exact recipe a long time ago. It is so easy and delicious!! I always make this for friends and family when they're in need of comfort food. It never fails to impress with the light herb dumplings. I've always deglazed the pan with a little white wine, added chunks of carrots, and use Cream of Mushroom soup instead...so good!!
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend 1 cup baking mix, salt, pepper, and paprika; coat chicken pieces.
- Cook chicken in shortening and butter in skillet until light brown. Remove chicken and drain fat.
- Mix soup and 1 1/2 cups milk in skillet; add chicken pieces. Cover and heat to boiling. Cook over low heat about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Stir 2 cups baking mix, 2/3 cup milk, parsley flakes and poultry seasoning to a soft dough.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot soup mixture. Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve with tossed salad and apple pandowdy.