Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I serve this with rice as I don't eat the dumplings, hubby gets those. I also double the vegies, milk, soup, thyme and bay leaf as I like lots of gravy. Very nice hot meal for a cold rainy night.
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 -4 lbs chicken
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup Bisquick
- Cut chicken into pieces such as legs, thighs, wings, breast etc -- Chop onions, celery and thinly slice carrot.
- In sturdy plastic bag mix first 5 ingredients flour, salt, paprika, pepper and garlic.
- Drop chicken pieces in one or two at a time and shake to coat.
- Heat to medium hot heavy skillet with oil, add chicken and brown on all sides, turning as needed.
- As chicken browns remove and put into a large soup pot, layering if necessary. Continue until all chicken has been browned.
- Toss onions, celery and carrots in bag with left over flour. Add vegetables and any left over flour with spices to heavy skillet with chicken drippings and saute for 5 minutes
- Add thyme and bay leaf saute for another 5 minutes. (I usually add more garlic, personal preference.).
- Add flour'd vegies to soup pot with chicken.
- Pour milk and soup into skillet, heat. Scrappin up any excess flour or chicken drippings.
- Pour soup mix into soup pot. Stir all ingredients together except the 1/3 cup milk and bisquick.
- Turn burner to medium low and cook being careful not to burn, approxmately 45-60 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Mix together 1/3 cup milk and bisquick.
- The last 10 minutes of cooking drop dumpling dough into simmering pot by tablespoon fulls.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until dumplings have set.
4 stars! A good recipe, however in search of a recipe better than the one I grew up on. This was not it. However this recipe will not dissapoint. Good ol' fashion comfort food. Great served with some southern sweet tea.