Prep 29 mins
Cook 35 mins
You could make this ahead and gently rewarm it to serve without losing much of its deliciousness. It goes well with with brown rice or a wild rice blend. Go light with the entree (tossed salads are an eternal favorite in France too), and serve something with fruit for dessert. There are many recipes for crème fraîche at Recipe Zaar. Notice that it has tarragon-I love tarragon! I have increased the liquid after looking at Chef#286566 helpful review.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, cubed in bite sized pieces
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced 1/4 inch
- 3 medium carrots, scraped and julienned in 1/4 inch wide strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a Dutch oven or other heavy large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook for five minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides - about ten minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken with the flour and stir for 1 minute, thoroughly coating the chicken with the flour.
- Stir in the water and wine and then the prepared mushrooms, carrots, and tarragon.
- Bring to a low boil, cover and simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes or just until the vegetables are cooked as you like them.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if you wish.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the crème fraîche.
- Serve hot.
I scaled this back to 3 serves and we had with rice. The only problem I had was I had to add another cup of liquid (water) but next time I will 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of wine as the extra otherwise all I had was a thick emulsion but once the extra liquid was added the sauce was fantastic. I used dried tarragon 1/3 teaspoon which just gave it enough of a taste without being overpowering and added some broccoli flowerets. Will be trying this again but maybe serve it in vol-e-vents. Thank you WiGal, made for New Kid on The Block.