Cook1 hr 10 mins
This version of chicken fricassee was a family favorite growing up. I lightened it up a little, and now it is a favorite with my husband and son. I don't make it often, since even with my adaptations it's still pretty high in fat. But I do make it a few times a year--it's so satisfying in cold weather! I usually make double the gravy and 1-1.5 times the dumplings. It reheats tolerably well, although the dumplings will soak up the gravy like a sponge (which is why I double the gravy). This is my single exception to my "no baking mix" rule! I don't recommend using skinless chicken; the browning and simmering will make the chicken tough without the skin to protect it.
- 1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 -8 chicken thighs (or 1 cut-up chicken)
- canola oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Combine 1 cup Bisquick, salt, pepper, and paprika in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Add chicken pieces, seal, and shake to coat.
- In a very large, deep skillet or saute pan (one that has a lid), heat about 1/4-inch oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, turning at least once. Remove chicken to a paper-towel lined dish.
- Drain fat from skillet. Add soup to skillet and gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups milk until smooth. Replace chicken, cover skillet, and bring just to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer gently over low heat for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Blend together 2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, parsley, and poultry seasoning.
- Remove lid and drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot gravy (try not to overlap spoonfuls of dough).
- Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until top of dumplings looks set (not wet and doughy). Replace lid and cook an additional 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
great recipe my boyfriend loved it, ill be making that again and again