1/1 Photo of Chicken Fricassee and Dumplings (Lighter Version)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
This version of chicken fricassee was a family favorite growing up. I lightened it up a little, and now it is a favorite with my husband and son. I don't make it often, since even with my adaptations it's still pretty high in fat. But I do make it a few times a year--it's so satisfying in cold weather! I usually make double the gravy and 1-1.5 times the dumplings. It reheats tolerably well, although the dumplings will soak up the gravy like a sponge (which is why I double the gravy). This is my single exception to my "no baking mix" rule! I don't recommend using skinless chicken; the browning and simmering will make the chicken tough without the skin to protect it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 -8 chicken thighs (or 1 cut-up chicken)
- canola oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1Combine 1 cup Bisquick, salt, pepper, and paprika in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Add chicken pieces, seal, and shake to coat.
- 2In a very large, deep skillet or saute pan (one that has a lid), heat about 1/4-inch oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, turning at least once. Remove chicken to a paper-towel lined dish.
- 3Drain fat from skillet. Add soup to skillet and gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups milk until smooth. Replace chicken, cover skillet, and bring just to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer gently over low heat for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 4Blend together 2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, parsley, and poultry seasoning.
- 5Remove lid and drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot gravy (try not to overlap spoonfuls of dough).
- 6Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until top of dumplings looks set (not wet and doughy). Replace lid and cook an additional 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fricassee and Dumplings (Lighter Version)
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 80.7 mg
- Sodium 117.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Bisquick Heart Smart mix
low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
Bisquick Heart Smart mix