Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄2 cup dried large lima beans
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- garlic powder
- 2 -3 lbs whole chickens, cut into parts
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Soak lima beans in cold water overnight.
- Brown onion in oil. Place in heavy pot. Drain lima beans and add to pot.
- Mix salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder with a small amount of water, just enough to make a thick paste. Smear this paste on the chicken parts and layer them on top of onions and beans.
- Mix ground beef with egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper until it coheres. Form into tiny meatballs, about the size of a walnut. Add to pot.
- Add enough water to just cover. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook about 1 hour. Serve with rice.