This is another south louisiana favorite. I grew up eating this, it is delicious, everyone i cook it for always ask me to cook it for them again. it is an original recipe no can stuff added to it, it is from scratch. I suggest you to brown chicken and set aside to cool so that the bones can be removed. Also use a large cast iron dutch oven if possible.You can also use leg quarters if you would like in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add seasonings to cut up chicken,add oil to dutch oven heat oil add chicken pieces to the oil and brown them to a golden brown.
- 2after all chicken is browned set aside in a platter.
- 3add flour and stir constantly at medium heat until flour has turned a medium chocolate color add onions, bellpepper and garlic saute until onions are clear.
- 4turn heat up on high add chicken and hot water until chicken pieces are covered and stir until roux or browned flour is disolved,reduce heat to low. Taste you may need to add more season to your taste.
- 5Cook for 45 mins to an hour with lid on pot 10 to 15 minutes before serving add green onions. Serve over mound of white or brown rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fricassee
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.4
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 265.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 29.3 g