Recipe by Patty Mae
AKA Smothered Chicken or Country-Fried Chicken. This is true Southern comfort food.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 lbs fryer, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, sage, marjoram, and paprika in a bowl; mix well.
- Set aside the back, neck, and giblets of the chicken to be used for soup or frozen for later use.
- Dredge remaining chicken pieces in flour.
- Shake off excess flour and place on a rack. Reserve any remaining flour.
- Heat oil to 325ºF in a large skillet with a tightly-fitting lid.
- Add dredged chicken and fry 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken to platter and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Pour off all except 2 tablespoons of the oil from the skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved flour mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the flour turns golden brown.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the chicken broth and white wine.
- Bring back to a boil while scraping cooked-on bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce starts to thicken.
- Use a whisk to remove lumps if necessary.
- Return the chicken to the pan and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for for 1 hour.
- Just before serving stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.