Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Mediterranean Food Market, this is a delicious company or family dinner!
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh scallions
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 whole shallots
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- Wash the chicken pieces and dry with paper towels.
- In a deep saute pan, over medium heat, put half of the butter and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add half the chicken and brown all sides about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining butter and chicken.
- Transfer the fried chicken to pan and sprinkle with flour, making sure all pieces are covered.
- Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the wine, bringing up the temperature until it reaches boiling point.
- Then add the chicken stock and keep stirring until it is well mixed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a frying pan, heat remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add the scallions, mushrooms and lemon juice.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, add shallots, water and sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add this mix to reserved mushrooms.
- Carefully transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Boil the sauce until it is the consistency of a smooth gravy.
- Add the cream, mushrooms and shallots.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Serves 4.
I give this one 6 stars. Thought there would be enough for a second meal. Not so. The gravy was wonderful.
This is a beautiful recipe. I served this over mashed potatoes and the sauce/gravy was a perfect match. I do think that you could halve the sauce amounts and still have enough. I also did not use the full amount of shallots, using about 4 sliced. I wasn't sure when to add the green onions so I threw it into the sauce. I did love the flavor and will definitely make it again with the few minor adjustments. Thank you!!
This was absolutely gorgeous!!! I was so lucky as we are coming into autumn here, all the wild mushrooms are on the shelves, so I made a wild mushroom mix. It was totally omg moreish, both hubby and I loved the sauce. I served over pasnip mash with fresh vegetables. As with some other reviewers, I added garlic too and I also only used 1 large shallot as I was only making for 2. I also cooked in the same pan, browned the chicken, removed and then cooked mushrooms, shallot and garlic, added wine, lemon juice and stock and returned chicken, simmered for 15 Min's, before adding remaining ingredients. A superb recipe and a definite winner and a company worthy dish. Thanks Sharon