Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
A delicious old favorite comfort food best served with warm biscuits.
- 1 -1 1⁄3 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (four 4- to 5- ounce chicken halves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 baby carrots, cut in thirds
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 -4 sprigs fresh tarragon, very thinly sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons superfine flour
- 4 prepared buttermilk biscuits (available in your supermarket bakery department)
- 1. Place chicken breast between 2 pieces of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 2. In a large non-stick skillet lighlty brown chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 or 3 minutes per side over medium to medium-high heat. Remove chicken and seet aside.
- 3. Add a little more olive oile and 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add vegetables and saute 5 minutes.
- 4. Add wine or 1/2 cup chicken broth and allow it to reduce by half, 1 or 2 minutes.
- 5. Add chicken back to the skillet and pour in 1 cup chicken broth. Cook chicken 5 or 6 minues more, until meat is tender yet cooked through. Stir in tarragon.
- 6. In a small mixing bowl combine flour with a splash of broth or water and stir into a thin paste. Add past to skillet and combine with juices using a whisk. Thicken to desired consistency, 1 or 2 minutes. Adjust seasong to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7. Serve over split biscuits.