5 hrs 20 mins
Posted for ZWT6 Scandinavia leg of tour. Traditional Scandinavian fare, this rich stew is comfort food at its best — think chicken potpie without the crust. Boiled potatoes are the perfect starch to balance the sweet carrots and parsnips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts water
- 6 large chicken thighs (with skin and bones, about 2 3/4 lb total)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and halved, sliced into thirds
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and halved, sliced into thirds
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 celery rib, cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1Place thighs in water and bring to a boil in a 6-qt heavy pot. Skim froth frequently.
- 2Add thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Add carrots, parsnips, onion, celery and garlic.
- 4Simmer until carrots and parsnips are tender.
- 5Using a slotted spoon, move carrots and parsnips to a bowl.
- 6Continue to cook chicken until tender, 10-15 additional minutes. Using tongs, carefully transfer chicken to a bowl.
- 7Strain broth through a fine sieve into another large bowl.
- 8Chill the broth until the fat solidifies and rises to the top. This will take between 3 or 4 hours.
- 9Cool chicken until cool enough to handle. Remove skin, bones and other solids and as much fatty parts of chicken as you can. Chill the chicken, carrots and parsnips until fat from the broth has solidified.
- 10Reserve 1/4 cup of solidified fat from broth. Melt fat in a wide 4-quart dutch oven over low heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Make sure not to brown the roux. Whisk in the chicken broth until smooth.
- 11Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 2 1/2 cups. This should take 30 to 45 minutes or longer.
- 12Add milk and cream, simmer until reduced to about 3 1/2 cups, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in chicken, add potatoes and parsnips. Add remaining salt (to taste), vinegar and sugar. Stir gently being careful to not break up vegetables, until heated through. Stir in the dill and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fricassée With Creamy Sweet-And-Sour Dill Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (984 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.1
- Calories from Fat 317
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 165.3 mg
- Sodium 1124.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar