1/1 Photo of Chicken Friand (Tourte Au Poulet Et Champignons)
My husband and I went to La Madelene's the other day and he ordered the chicken friand. It was so yummy that we decided to make it at home the following week. *** WOW! *** It turned out WAY better than the restaurant's. Adjust seasonings and addition of wine to taste. (for example, tarragon would be soooo good.) We served with roasted asparagus & artichokes with browned butter, wine and lemon dressing, will post recipe soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de provence, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth, up to 1 cup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- egg wash
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in 2 T butter. Cook chicken until done, about 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool. Pour out any chicken juices for later use.
- 2To pan, add in 2 T butter. Sauté mushrooms until they give off their liquid and it evaporates. Stir frequently. Toss in 1/2 teaspoon of herbs de Provence and sauté “until fragrant,” or about 1 minute. Add ½ cup wine and cook until it evaporates. In the meantime, chop chicken into bite-size chucks. When done, transfer mushrooms to a small bowl.
- 3Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and onion to pan. Sauté until soft. Stir in garlic and remaining herbs de Provence, cook about 45 seconds. Whisk flour into pan to make a quick roux, about 3 minutes.
- 4Top off leftover chicken juices with broth as needed, for 1 cup. Gradually whisk in broth mixture and remaining wine. Stir in mushrooms and warm through. Stir in cream. If the sauce is too thick, add more wine. Taste, season with salt and pepper.
- 5Take sheet of thawed puff pastry and lay it out on a baking sheet with parchment paper sprinkled with flour. Cut pastry diagonally into two large triangles. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken and ¼ mushroom mixture onto each halves of the pastry. Fold and pinch to make a large triangle friands. Brush tops with an egg wash. Bake friands in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until they’re golden on top.
- 6Carefully remove friands from parchment. One half of one triangle is one serving. Top with additional mushroom mixture.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Friand (Tourte Au Poulet Et Champignons)
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 833.2
- Calories from Fat 600
- Total Fat 66.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 372.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken thighs
herbes de provence