Recipe by lclairemon_9395006
This is a simple pasta recipe that everyone I have fed with it loves. I got the recipe originally from a Paula Dean recipe but I have modified it a lot. This can be made ahead for OAMC or used for large crowds. I last used it to serve 120 people.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 lbs cooked chicken, boned, and shredded
- 2 (11 ounce) cans 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese (grated)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (approximately)
- 1 (8 ounce) box penne pasta
- 1 (6 ounce) can French fried onion rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Pasta until almost done. Remove the outer wrappers from the box of spinach. Open 1 end of each box. Microwave on full power for 3 minutes, until thawed. Drain the spinach and put into a large bowl. Add the shredded chicken, the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, Cheddar, salt and pepper, to taste, and chicken broth. Mix well with a spatula.
- Place the mixture into an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish or 2 (9-inch) square disposable aluminum foil pans that have been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula.
- Wrap the uncooked casserole securely with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil. Place each pan into a plastic freezer bag and seal. Place into fridge.
- Allow casserole to set up at least 1 hour in refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and foil. Bake covered at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes until bubbly. Add fried onion rings to top and bake uncovered. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.