Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Home Cooking mag July/August 2005.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed (or shredded)
- 4 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy bottomed, 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook until onions are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in flour, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk chicken stock into butter/flour mixture. Bring to a boil and cook several minutes until thickened. Add chicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and heavy cream. Serve immediately.
This was great. I changed it to make it a bit healthier, and it still tasted wonderful. I substituted the Earth Balance olive oil butter alternative for the butter and coconut milk for the heavy cream. I also added turmeric. Loved it and will be making it again.
LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! I added gnocchi to it and it was fabulous
This soup was a HUGE hit with my family and the extended family too! So huge we're making it again tonight!