I got this recipe from a little cookbooklet I bought at the grocery store. Made it tonight and it is FANTASTIC ! I will stress; do NOT omit the nutmeg I think it would change the taste too much.
- 3 cups uncooked wagon wheel macaroni
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) packageuncooked chicken breast tenders, cut into bite size pieces (not breaded ones)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In small bowl, stir 1/4 cup of the half and half, flour, salt and nutmeg till smooth;set aside. Melt butter or margarine on medium. Add chicken cook chicken 6-8 minutes till chicken is browned. Add tomatoes,mushrooms and spinach. Cook 5 minutes, stirring till mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat to low. Stir in pasta and half and half mixture. Cook 1 minute till thick. Add remaining half and half. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and let sit for 2-3 minutes till cheese is melted.