Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great tasting sandwich. I try to cook the chicken on a night I'm already making chicken to shorten the cook time.
- 1 (10 ounce) can prepared pizza crust
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll dough; place in ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Starting at center, press out dough to edges of pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile, cook spinach as directed on package.
- Drain well; squeeze dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and 1 of the garlic cloves; mix well.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion;cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add sugar and vinegar.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- To flatten each chicken breast half, place, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Working from center, gently pound chicken with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick; remove wrap.
- Sprinkle chicken with Italian seasoning and minced garlic.
- Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken; cook 8 minutes or until browned, fork-tender and juices run clear, turning once.
- Cut cooled pizza crust into 4 rectangles.
- Remove rectangles from pan; spread each with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture.
- Top 2 rectangles with chicken, spinach, onion mixture, cheese and remaining crust rectangles, mayonnaise side down.
- Heat large skillet or cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Place sandwiches in skillet.
- Place smaller skillet on sandwiches to flatten slightly.
- Cook about 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and heated, turning once.
- Cut each warm sandwich into quarters.
This is a pillsbury recipe contest winner. It is a little time consuming for a sandwich, but the flavors are out of this world.
What a yummy sandwich! I used italian bread and it complemented the recipe very well. Will definitely make again. Thanks for posting!
Yummy! I did not add garlic to the mayo, just in case, but added extra to the chicken. Thanks for posting!