Recipe by Member #610488
The term 'à la Florentine', refers to a recipe that is prepared in the style of the Italian region of Florence. Florentine recipes will typically feature some main ingredient, such as meat, poultry or fish, served on a bed of spinach, and then topped with a Mornay sauce. This dish is considered to be one of the Continental European Classics.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup light cream or 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 5 cups cooked chicken, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup light cream or 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded (Emmental type preferred)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices ham, sliced thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spinach according to package instructions, drain well.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add minced garlic, basil, and thyme. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon flour and blend well.
- Add 1/3 cup light cream and the spinach; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Put spinach into the bottom of a lightly buttered 2-quart casserole or baking dish. Cover with cooked chicken slices.
- Over medium low heat, melt remaining butter and blend in remaining flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir in 3/4 cup light cream and 3/4 cup chicken broth; continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Continue cooking, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses and continue cooking and stirring until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut sliced ham in strips. Add to sauce and pour over chicken. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until top of casserole is lightly browned.