Recipe by Sharlene~W
Chicken breasts topped with spinach, a tomato-wine sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Serve with fettuccine and a nice salad. Update: I personally think this is much, much better with fresh spinach as the frozen spinach tends to be a bit bitter. I also like to stir it in a bit rather than have it all in a layer across top.
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (1360.77 g) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded very thin between pieces of plastic wrap
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2 (340.19 g) package fresh spinach, cooked drained and chopped or 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 236.59 ml grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken cutlets in mixture to coat.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Brown chicken about 5 minute son each side.
- Remove to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the skillet.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, wine and basil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and add more salt if necessary.
- Spread cooked spinach on top of chicken.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture around chicken, lifting edges to allow the sauce to flow underneath.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 35 minutes.