Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A rich dish fit for company
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (Italian style or plain or a mixture)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 ounce swiss cheese, grated
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and spread out on a plate. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cut chicken breasts in half and pound to 1/2 inch. Dip chicken pieces in egg and coat both sides with the bread crumb mixture. Cook chicken pieces (about 3 minutes each side) and place on paper towels to drain.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 tbs butter until onion is clear and add nutmeg and spinach. Cook until combined and heated through. Spread spinach mixture on the bottom of a oiled baking pan large enough to accommodate the chicken pieces.
- For the cream sauce, make a roux from the 2 tbs butter and 2 tbs flour cook for about one minute then increase heat and add the wine and whip with a wisk until smooth then dry. Slowly begin adding the milk until it is all incorporated, whisking constantly. Add the cheese and nutmeg and cook until thick and creamy.
- Assembly: Pour half of the sauce over the spinach and place chicken on top then top with the remaining sauce. Place dish in the oven and cook until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve with pasta or rice.
Excellent recipe. Great taste. I loved the nutmeg added. I did lighten it up a bit by substituting 1/2 of the milk for chicken broth. Will definitly make this again.
This is a great recipe. I changed two things. I omitted the nutmeg and added some chopped tarragon. Gave it a bernaise sauce flavor. I also added some chopped mushrooms to the onions while sauteing. Thanks for posting this one!