1/1 Photo of Chicken Flautas
1 hr 30 mins
These are delicious! My family could eat them every other night. To save time, the chicken can be cooked ahead and refrigerated, or use leftover chicken or pork. The cook and prep time is a guess. I don't usually time myself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up into separate pieces
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canned diced mild green chili (about a 4-oz. can)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1Bring chicken pieces and water to boiling in kettle; lower heat; cover.
- 2Simmer until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- 3Drain; reserve 1/2 cup broth.
- 4Cool chicken until easy to handle.
- 5Bone and skin chicken; shred meat.
- 6Heat lard or shortening in a large saucepan until melted.
- 7Add onion and garlic; saute 1 minute.
- 8Stir in cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- 9Add reserved 1/2 cup of broth, shredded chicken and chilies.
- 10Stir and cook until very thick and bubbly; remove from heat.
- 11Heat about 1/4" of oil in a small skillet over medium heat until very hot.
- 12Saute tortillas one at a time, a few seconds on each side, until limp.
- 13This will soften tortillas so that they will roll up more easily.
- 14Do not cook too long or they will become crisp.
- 15Drain on paper towels.
- 16Fill each tortilla with a heaping spoonful (3 tblsp) chicken mixture across center.
- 17Roll tortilla around filling.
- 18Be sure filling is 1" from edges or ends of rolled tortilla to avoid splattering during frying.
- 19Place 2 or 3 flautas, seam side down, in hot oil.
- 20Saute, turning on all sides until crisp.
- 21Drain and keep warm while cooking the rest.
- 22Combine sour cream and milk in small saucepan.
- 23Heat over very low heat just until lukewarm.
- 24Spoon over flautas.
- 25Garnish with fresh coriander or cilantro leaves, if you wish.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Flautas
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.4
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 83.6 mg
- Sodium 373.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 19.6 g