Recipe by little_wing
Chicken marinated in sherry and cooked with a wonderful stuffing. A bit tricky but so worth it. Not quite as bad as the nutritional facts say, since the marinade gets thrown away and using skinless breasts will cut down on the fat. Serve with fresh, steamed asparagus.
Top Review by anme
What a great recipe for chicken! I made this the other night. I used frozen thawed spinach and canned mushrooms since thats what I had on hand. It did take about 45 or 50 minutes for this to finish in the oven. The marinade gave this chicken a wonderful flavor, I only let it marinate for about 2 hours since thats all I had time for but it still tasted great.
- 2 cups dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 whole chicken breasts, split and boned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 cups fresh spinach, cut into thin shreds
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄3 cup sliced scallion
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups light Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 2 cups sherry into large shallow dish.
- Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and marinate at least 3 hrs in fridge.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat.
- Add garlic spinach, mushrooms, carrots, scallions, salt and pepper and remaining 2 tbs sherry.
- Cook and stir 3-5 minutes, until spinach is completely wilted. Cool completely.
- Place dressing in another small bowl and set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in another bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Slice a pocket into side of each breast where they were originally attatched.
- Fill pockets with spinach mixture. Secure pockets with toothpicks.
- Coat each breast with dressing and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken in single layer on greased 13x9 dish. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Cover and bake 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until chicken is done.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.