Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kids will have fun with these crispy chicken fingers and fresh roasted appple fries. They will love preparing the fries and coating the chicken. Serve in rolled newspaper for an authentic chippy feel.
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE FRIES
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges per apple (Empire or Spy)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN FINGERS
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, boil cider until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 30 minutes (will have a syrupy consistency). Remove from heat; whisk in butter and salt, if using.
- Preheat oven to 400°F In a bowl, toss apples with 2 tablespoons of the glaze and 1/2 tablespoons of the thyme. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cornflake crumbs, salt, if using, and parsley. Dip chicken strips in chili sauce and then coat with corn flakes. Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Place chicken in the top third and the apples in the bottom third of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken, drizzle apples with remaining glaze and switch baking sheets so the apples are now in the top third of oven. Continue to roast for 10 minutes and remove chicken from oven.
- Let chicken fingers cool while apples finish caramelizing 5-10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle apples wirth remaining thyme and additional salt if desired.