Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Chicken soup with feta cheese, tomato and spinach. A VERY healthy and tasty soup.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 lb diced tomatoes with juice (fresh, not canned)
- 16 ounces baby spinach leaves (fresh, not frozen)
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lb cooked farfalle pasta (bowtie)
- Boil chicken in stock until cooked thoroughly.
- Add 1 lb diced fresh tomatoes.
- Add 16 oz. fresh baby spinach.
- Add 8 oz. crumbled feta cheese.
- Add 1/4 teaspoons oregano (more or less to taste).
- Add juice of one lemon.
- Add 1 lb. cooked bowtie pasta.
- Simmer and serve with crusty bread.
I really enjoyed this soup! I thought it was tasty and easy to make. I halved all of the ingredients, except the stock (I used a full 32 oz.) and even with half of the ingredients was worried that there would not be enough stock (maybe some boiled away as I boiled the chicken??). In the future, I think I would make this soup again with the halved ingredients and full amount of stock. I cubed my chicken and chopped my spinach. I used only fresh ingredients (including the oregano from my garden). Thanks for posting this. I'll make it again!
I love this and make it all the time now to use up the rest of a rotisserie chicken. It works, too, with frozen spinach and canned fire-roasted tomatoes (when I'm in a pinch and don't feel like going to the store), and I usually use whole wheat rotini in it. Today I also added some thinly sliced yellow pepper, and might toss in a few sliced kalamata olives. I usually add a little extra lemon juice, and sometimes a splash of cream to smooth it out....and a ton of red pepper flakes. Tasty and easy. Love it.
I was pleasantly surprised at how good this simple soup turned out. I used chicken breast that were cut into bite sized pieces and simmered them in the chicken stock. The Feta cheese really stands out so I'd lighten up on that but otherwise it was very good and all fresh ingredients.