1/1 Photo of Chicken Farfalle Casserole
I wanted to create a dish which would would be a combination of the flavors of Spinach Dip and Alfredo Sauce. I love the flavors of both of them and thought that if I could put the correct amounts of various ingredients together I could make a Italian Style Casserole which would qualify as 'comfort food' and yet have a gourmet taste. Do not be afraid of this recipe being too complicated. It is very easy to put together and I was very specific so that even a beginner cook cook make this dish. This is a meal in itself and if you added a loaf of hot crusty bread you wouldn't need anything else.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope Knorr vegetable soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons butter (divided into two parts) or 8 tablespoons margarine (divided into two parts)
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package of room temperature cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (for mushrooms & onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (for mushrooms & onions)
- 1 (10 ounce) package of fresh frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms (coarsely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken (cut in bite sized chunks)
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashew pieces
- 3 cups cooked farfalle pasta (aka BowTie pasta)
- 1Cream the cream cheese and the sour cream together in a bowl and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl blend the 2 cups of nonfat powdered milk with the 3 ½ cups of water.
- 3Add the envelope of Knorr Vegetable soup mix, the 1 teaspoon of salt and the 1 teaspoon of pepper to the milk and set aside.
- 4It is important to allow the dry soup mix time to reconstitute a little while you are preparing the other ingredients.
- 5Heat the Olive Oil and 4 Tablespoons of the butter or margarine in a large skillet or wok.
- 6Sauté the mushrooms & onions in this with the ½ teaspoons of salt and pepper until the mushrooms are slightly browned.
- 7Remove the mushrooms & onions from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain them on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels.
- 8Add the other 4 Tablespoons of butter or margarine to the drippings of the pan.
- 9When melted, stir in the 3 Tablespoons of white flour and stir while cooking for about 1 minute.
- 10Turn down the heat to medium low.
- 11Slowly add the milk/soup mixture and the parmesan cheese to the butter/flour mixture in the pan, stirring while simmering until the mixture starts to thicken to about a medium thin sauce.
- 12Turn off the heat and let sauce cool slightly.
- 13Add a small amount of the hot sauce to the cream cheese/sour cream mixture stirring well.
- 14Add all the cream cheese/sour cream mixture to the hot sauce and blend well.
- 15Add the mushrooms & onions to the sauce and blend.
- 16Add the spinach, chicken and cashews to the sauce.
- 17Turn the burner on very low to keep warm while cooking the pasta.
- 18Cook the Farfelle Pasta for about 13 minutes in about 2 quarts of hot boiling water.
- 19Drain the pasta and then add the hot pasta to the hot vegetable sauce.
- 20Pour all of the ingredients into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish/pan.
- 21Mix the topping ingredients together in a small bowl.
- 22Sprinkle the topping evenly over the casserole.
- 23Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 24Serve & enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Farfalle Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (1725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3076.7
- Calories from Fat 1703
- Total Fat 189.3 g
- Saturated Fat 92.1 g
- Cholesterol 525.6 mg
- Sodium 5599.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 193.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 76.4 g
- Protein 161.1 g