WW friendly. A family favorite especially when atoning for excesses. This is so tasty, yet so healthy, even when each adult eats two large burritos. I adapted this from a recipe on a plastic produce bag at a Mars Supermarket.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1-1/2-inch x 1/2-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper, up to 1/2 teaspoon
- 4 large flour tortillas, warmed
- 8 teaspoons low-fat sour cream (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- MARINATE CHICKEN FOR 30 MINUTES.
- Mix lime juice and minced garlic in 2-quart Ziploc bag.
- Add chicken strips to marinade bag. Marinate for 30 minutes in refrigerator, turning periodically to distribute marinade.
- Heat olive oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour in chicken and marinade sauce. Stirfry for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken to plate and keep warm.
- Drain excess liquid from skillet, if necessary.
- Add bell pepper strips and remaining garlic to frying pan and stirfry for 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle bell pepper and garlic with cumin, salt and ground red pepper.
- Add chicken back to frying pan and stirfry 1-2 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE BURRITOS.
- Spread 1 teaspoon sour cream (optional) on one side of each tortilla. Spoon stirfry mixture evenly over sour cream.
- Fold bottom of tortilla and roll up sides.
- Serve with salsa, if desired.
- Serves 2 hearty appetites, or 4 dainty portions.
My family loved the recipe and one way I can always tell... There were no leftovers! I did marinate the chicken 30 minutes beforehand, I added marjoram (by accident) and cut the cayenne by half because of my young girls. We also ate this without the tortillas, it was still so good! We did have sour cream to help cut the heat which worked so well. Next time I will try and marinate it overnight, I will add onions and will serve with fresh guacamole in addition to the sour cream. It came out better than any restaurant! Thanks for posting!
These were absolutely fabulous! I made these for hubby and I for lunch, and I served salsa and sour cream on the side so we could assemble them ourselves. The only 2 things I did differently was that I did add onion (we love onion) while cooking the bell peppers and I used 8" flour tortillas instead of the large (because that is what we had at home). The seasonings were perfect. I would not change a thing (other than adding onion)! Thank you for posting a recipe that I will make many more times. (Made for PRMR tag).
Thanks for super dinner. :) Made as posted and will make again. Served with deantini's delicious salsa. I did marinate the chicken 2 hours ahead-- was more convenient for me. Mexican food is a favorite of ours and this was a nice treat.