Recipe by Manami
This is a different take on this recipe and is served with oh so good guacamole!
Top Review by newspapergal
DH & I agreed - 5 stars! I marinated the chicken overnight, and my marinade sort of congealed, so I smeared it on the chicken before using the broiler method. I made 2 minor changes: I used lime juice/zest in the marinade and lime juice in the guac, and I added a garlic clove to the marinade. The chicken was moist and flavorful. Served with all your suggestions except the olives, on spinach tortillas.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped & drained
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- sour cream, Garnish
- salsa, Garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Seed and peel avocado.
- In a mixing bowl coarsely mash avocado.
- Add medium tomato, onion, garlic powder, the Tablespoon lemon juice and salt.
- Cover the surface of bowl with plastic wrap and chill for up to 4 hours.
- In a shallow nonmetallic dish combine oil, cilantro or parsley, lemon peel, 2 Tablespons of lemon juice, chili powder, cumin & red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken to marinade, turning to coat.
- Cover and chill about an hour.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade.
- Grill chicken on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken and brush with marinade; grill for 7-10 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- OR, place chicken on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5-6" from the heat for 10-12 minutes, turning and brushing with marinade once.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and heat on grill or in oven during the last 5 minutes of cooking the chicken.
- To serve, cut chicken into bite-sized strips.
- On each tortilla, arrange chicken strips, shredded letturce, shredded cheese, tomato and sliced olives.
- Roll up tortillas, tucking in sides.
- Serve with Guacamole, sour cream and salsa if desired.