Recipe by Chef mariajane
Fresh salsa is all the rage when combined with the smoky flavor of chipotle peppers. This is so delicious!!
- 2 plum roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 -6 large whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- torn lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, jalapeno, cheese, lime juice and 1/8 teaspoons salt; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; sauté onion for 3 minutes or until softened and starting to brown. Add chicken, chili powder, chipotle, oregano and 1/4 teaspoons salt; sauté for 5 minutes just until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Whisk flour into milk until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes or until bubbling and thickened. Line tortillas with lettuce and spoon filling on top along center; top with fresh salsa. Fold bottom of tortilla then fold sides to enclose filling.