Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This hits all the flavor and texture notes and tastes pretty authentic. Browning and simmering the chicken keeps it moist. This recipe serves two but is easy to double or triple. Serve with Salsa Rice #97070.
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thickly sliced top to bottom
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (bottled is fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips (any color)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 (3/4 ounce) corn tortillas, warmed
- Heat a small skillet to medium high. Remove from flame and spray with non-stick. Return to stove and add chicken.
- Cook without moving chicken until browned, turn and brown other side.
- Add broth; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut up the veggies.
- Remove chicken to plate, tent with foil and set aside. KEEP broth.
- Heat your largest skillet to high heat. Remove from flame and spray with non-stick. Return to stove and add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until almost tender and edges are slightly charred.
- Add seasonings, stir to coat veggies. Cook 1 minute to toast seasonings.
- Slice chicken crosswise and add to skillet with lime juice and any juices from the plate. Toss to coat chicken with seasonings and combine with veggies.
- Add broth, bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until almost dry.
- Serve in warmed corn tortillas.