Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, all fat removed
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into edges
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- green onion
- 4 ounces fat free sharp cheddar cheese
- nonfat sour cream
- 4 tortillas, warmed
- Make marinade from soy sauce, lime juice, and herbs.
- Add chicken and marinate for 4 hours in refrigerator.
- Grate cheddar cheese, set aside.
- Chop green onions, set aside.
- Empty can of black beans into small pot.
- Add lime juice and bring to boil, stirring occasionally, reduce heat to simmer, let simmer about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mash with potato masher, keep warm.
- Remove chicken from marinade and cut into strips.
- Spray heavy skillet with cooking spray and heat at high.
- Add chicken strips and sear till no pick is visible.
- Add 1 tbsp marinade.
- Add onions and peppers, heat and stir for about 2 minutes, add tomato, cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread tortilla with mashed black beans.
- Add chicken and vegetables.
- Add sour cream.
- Add cheddar cheese.
- Top with green onions.
Overall a really good dish! Definitely a crowd pleaser :D
Not bad for a relatively quick lowfat meal. We found the flavors a tad bit on the bland side and found ourselves adding LOTS of spices to give the fajitas more pizzaz. Marinating for longer than 4 hours and grilling the chicken might be the solution for tastier chicken. To give the beans more oomph I added some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, beef broth and a couple of tablespoons of salsa. I added garlic and chili flakes to both the chicken marinade and the veggie mixture then added mushrooms to the veggie saute as well as some balsamic vinegar. We used whole wheat tortillas and made homemade guacamole to serve with the fajitas and it was pretty tasty.
This was such a great marinade, I didn't make the beans because I personally don't like them so I made homemade guacamole instead, and it was amazing my husband ate 4!!!! I loved the fresh lime juice in the marinade. Thank you for a healthy new meal for my whole family!!!