Grilling the tortillas for several seconds on each side directly on a stove burner set to medium heat gives them a bit of a pleasant char. Adapted from Chef on Call columnist and former restaurateur David Hagedorn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more to taste) or 1/4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or more to taste)
For the slaw
- 1/2 lb prepared coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced fresh jalapeno pepper (not jarred)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
For the fajitas
- 1For the chicken: Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and let rest on the counter to bring the chicken to room temperature (no more than 30 minutes).
- 2Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat until it is very hot. Place the chicken pieces, top side down, in the skillet and let them blacken for 2 minutes. Turn them over, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, cover still on, and let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl. Strain the pan drippings into a cup, discarding the fat. When the chicken has cooled, slice it into 1/2-inch strips, place them in a bowl and pour the drippings over them. Cover and set aside.
- 3For the slaw: Combine the ingredients in a large resealable plastic food storage bag. Toss to combine them well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4To assemble: "Grill" each tortilla over a medium flame for a few seconds on each side. Place each one on a dinner plate. Line a quarter of the chicken slices a third of the way down from the side of the tortilla. Top with avocado slices; 1/4 cup of slaw (allow juices to strain off before adding); a spoonful of salsa (again, allow juices to strain off before adding), if desired; and a few drops of chipotle-flavored hot pepper sauce, if desired. Roll the tortillas up and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fajitas
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.9
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 611.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 29.4 g