Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grilling the tortillas for several seconds on each side directly on a stove burner set to medium heat gives them a bit of a pleasant char. Adapted from Chef on Call columnist and former restaurateur David Hagedorn.
For the chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more to taste) or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or more to taste)
For the slaw
- 1⁄2 lb prepared coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced fresh jalapeno pepper (not jarred)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
For the fajitas
- 8 -12 corn tortillas (5 1/2-inch)
- 1 avocado, flesh only, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- salsa fresca (optional) or pico de gallo (optional)
- chipotle-flavored hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco brand (optional but a great addition)
- For the chicken: Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and let rest on the counter to bring the chicken to room temperature (no more than 30 minutes).
- Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat until it is very hot. Place the chicken pieces, top side down, in the skillet and let them blacken for 2 minutes. Turn them over, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, cover still on, and let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl. Strain the pan drippings into a cup, discarding the fat. When the chicken has cooled, slice it into 1/2-inch strips, place them in a bowl and pour the drippings over them. Cover and set aside.
- For the slaw: Combine the ingredients in a large resealable plastic food storage bag. Toss to combine them well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: "Grill" each tortilla over a medium flame for a few seconds on each side. Place each one on a dinner plate. Line a quarter of the chicken slices a third of the way down from the side of the tortilla. Top with avocado slices; 1/4 cup of slaw (allow juices to strain off before adding); a spoonful of salsa (again, allow juices to strain off before adding), if desired; and a few drops of chipotle-flavored hot pepper sauce, if desired. Roll the tortillas up and serve.