Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from a Healthy Living cookbook, and it is absolutely delicious. A bonus is that it just happens to be good for you as well! Also, if you don’t want to go to the bother of making fajitas, this chicken is WONDERFUL grilled all by itself. SOO flavorful and juicy!
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (4)
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In shallow glass dish, combine lime juice, olive oil, and spices. Wisk together, reserving about 2 T.
- Add chicken to dish, turn to coat, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (longer is better).
- Cook chicken on a preheated broiler or grill until no longer pink, turning once and basting with marinade in dish (about 10 minutes).
- Remove cooked chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Toss peppers and onions with reserved marinade, then place on broiler pan or on foil on the grill and cook until lightly charred, stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- While vegetables are cooking, cut chicken into strips.
- Place in large bowl, adding 1 cup tomatoes, 1 T. cilantro, and green onions, mixing gently.
- Mix remaining tomatoes and cilantro in a separate bowl.
- When vegetables are cooked, add to chicken mixture.
- To serve, put chicken mix in tortilla shells, topping with tomato/cilantro mixture and cheese, if desired.
My husband and I thought this was delicious...no grease, lots of flavor! I recommend adding a couple cloves of garlic to the marinade, and marinating the chicken at least overnight. I cooked everything on the stovetop, in the marinade. Next time, I'll make double the marinade. This was so easy to make. Thank you, Pufi.